2010 3rd XI Match reports

14-08-10 - HOME TO ST GILES



Camden 203 for 9, Little Shelford 206 for 4. RESULT - LITTLE SHELFORD WIN

Find the match score card here.

31-07-10 - AWAY TO N.C.I

Camden 143 for 9, Camden 145 for 4. RESULT - N.C.I WIN

Find the match score card here.

24-07-10 - HOME TO U.S.S.C

U.S.S.C 243 for 6, Camden 149 ALL OUT. RESULT - U.S.S.C WIN


Bottisham-Lode 332 for 5, Camden 209 for 7. RESULT - BOTTISHAM-LODE WIN


A lost toss needn’t be a crisis. Especially when the opposition do what you were thinking of getting them to do anyway. For about twenty minutes there, it was all going Hannibal Smith and my plans were coming together very nicely as Warren had “the guy who scored all the runs last time” caught and a sharp bit of work had the other opener run out. Then BottLode put together a stand of 207, and the records, I suspect, began to tumble….. Dropped catches and poor work in the field aside the Darlings (I don’t think I’ll go in for any comment) scored 97 and 147. Even whrn one departed Hayes indulged in a brutality that achieved 52* in short order. The skipper tried eight bowlers, to little avail, except to do further damage to their figures. At one stage former, former, former, former all-rounder Steve Robinson came on and despite some fearful hitting took his customary wicket for the season (a slightly dubious LBW decision, still by then we’d have taken anything). So the thirds went in to tea needing 333 to win.

Despite that we were not without hope; Emmanuel was playing true and the outfield gave full value for even the most tentative of prods, so we sent in the big guns to blast us through. Andrew and Duncan Gibson put on 46, with Gibson being outscored comfortably for once, but when Steve Hodsdon and his partner met at one end, the opener and Andrew Redfern “misjudged the line”, Robinson and David Mitchell were together a little earlier than the latter had envisaged (10th over). The score made decent progress, to 83 in the 15th, then Robinson’s outside edge betrayed him. The decision to “go for the points” hadn’t quite been made, but Martin Baker’s initial difficulties in scoring; his thirteenth ball was his first scoring shot uncharacteristically, and some straight bowling by opposition bowlers tragically unnamed and therefore un-credited in our book made the chase look too steep. Baker settled in Mitchell plodded and between them 98 were added for the sixth, before Baker (38) was adjudged LBW. Some heroic running from Ramesh Bulusu (8 off 5 balls) helped to ensure we passed the 200 mark. Warren, emulating Baker took eleven balls to get off the mark while the PRC tucked into change bowling that obviously hadn’t seen this much change in the league before. Possibly another A.S.Byatt factlet ? Most players bowling in a match as the opposition used seven ? Mitchell (63*) and Warren (1*) finished up and at 209 for 7 Camden had passed 200 for the third week running and, for the third week running, failed to win, clearly illustrating the difficulties with hard flat wickets and slippery hands!

The thirds slip to the bottom of the table, although a few victories will make significant differences, it would be nicer to have them before the last minute! To close I can turn to Sourav for a bit of balance whose understatement after losing the World Cup to Australia should be a lesson about taking it all too seriously. All he had to say? “Yes, it's a bit disappointing.”

Match report - David Mitchell


Camden 221 for 7, Longstowe 223 for 7. RESULT - LONGSTOWE WIN


Camden 200 for 4, Granta 203 for 5. RESULT - CHERRY HINTON WIN


Camden won the toss and had first go on another shirtfront wicket at King’s & Selwyn. Openers Duncan Gibson (37) and Ramesh Bulusu (14) amassed a second successive fifty partnership, but at 55 in the fifteenth over the clinician lobbed the visitors’ first-change lobber to mid-on, and the next ball the Kiwi smeared, missed and was bowled. Steve Robinson joined David Mitchell in a perky partnership of 39 before holing out – as predicted by his partner – at long off for 16 with the score 94 in the 24th over. Former batsman Andrew Redfern, averaging 4 for the season, set about re-establishing himself and walloped a couple of early sixes. The partnership blossomed as the captain weighed in – he is, after all, as Aussie legend Jeff Thomson says, “a fair lump of bloke” – with a series of crisp boundaries, but with five overs remaining he was lbw for 35. Jaya Savige joined the rampant Redfern, who went to a second Thirds’ fifty (the first was on his first appearance for Camden in 2007). While ancients John Sutton and Andrew Matthews (combined age 125) sat with pads on, the pair added 32, the literary theorist ending 5 not out and Redfern undefeated on 67. Camden III had never failed to defend 200, so the team went contentedly to tea.

There was an early success as Redfern made another bid for the coveted Man-of-the-Match award, his Exocet direct hit running out opener Dix. However, Cherry Hinton began to accumulate steadily, until Tom Elliott (1-33) bowled Swan for 21 with the score 54 in the twelfth over. Dave Warren was rested after a steady spell, but Redfern’s four overs went for 24 and Alec Armstrong’s first four for 26 – but the tweaker then found the edge, keeper Gibson took the catch and opener Barber was out for a muscular 66. Cherry Hinton had done the work, and needed only to bat sensibly to win, so it was a surprise when Camden bagged a second bowling bonus point when Warren returned to bowl Brierly for 43. Savige did his best to delay the inevitable from the Barton Road End, and Redfern – yes, the smoker-philosopher again – took a sharp catch to give Warren his second wicket of the day and move him to within three of becoming the second Thirds bowler to amass 100 victims, but the visitors won easily by five wickets with four overs remaining.

After a game in which Redfern had excelled in two of three disciplines, his charming partner Joanne texted to say: “I can’t tell you how glad I am not to be in Cambridge tonight.”

Man of the Match: Andrew Redfern

Match report - John Sutton

26-06-10 - HOME TO GRANTA

Camden 173 for 9, Granta 149 ALL OUT. RESULT - CAMDEN WIN


Steve Robinson won the toss and had no hesitation in taking first use of a billiard-table wicket at King’s & Selwyn in the battle of Division 2B’s bottom two. Bottom-of-the-pile Granta opened with a fast and very inaccurate young man, and Duncan Gibson and wides took 17 from the first over; 11 came from the next, and with more wides and Ramesh Bulusu getting in on the act, Camden had 40 after three overs and a season’s-best opening stand of 51 in the seventh. It was a surprise to Gibson when he was bowled for a lusty 31. No Fenland knicker-throwers or bar-mitzvah organisers were prepared to pay Indietones to perform this week, so the popular beat combo’s hairy vocalist Matt Fox-Teece was available to bat at No 3, and with Bulusu in silky form, the score rose to 74. However, former Camden lobber Gerald Coteman had been introduced at the Barton Road End, and he induced an edge to veteran keeper Ian Reid to dispatch Bulusu for 25. Robinson began with some big drives, and with the half-way mark approaching, Camden and Fox-Teece looked set for big scores – but the crooner charged Coteman and was stumped for 10. The home side were handily placed at 99-3 at drinks, but his promising position was quickly thrown away: Andrew Redfern drove a majestic straight 4, then cut limply to point; Justin Lee hit an inadvertent six through long-on’s hands, then looped precisely into deep mid wicket’s for 8; then the captain was bowled for 17 and Camden had collapsed to 115-6 in six overs. Martin Baker and Jaya Savige – lately returned from a James Joyce symposium in Prague – took the score to 127, when the Joycean, at the second attempt, was palpably lbw for 7. David Warren unveiled a meaty square cut in a season’s best 9 before being bowled with the score 151, then Baker was bowled for a helpful 17. Paul Glasson, who had announced himself with a fine pulled four, was joined by a determined Alec Armstrong, and in the last two overs the pair added 16, Glasson ending 14* and Armstrong 4*, as Camden posted 173-9 – fifty or more short of what they might have scored with more responsible middle-order batting.

Granta began comfortably against Warren and Glasson before a ridiculous run-out saw them 20-1. Warren’s next over went for 13, though, and Robinson turned to Baker, whose season’s return so far was 1-100 – but the left-arm spinner settled into a good line, bowled the other opener and lured the dangerous Davis into a silly lofted drive which only just eluded Robinson. Redfern had replaced Glasson, and in his third over saw Gibson dive low at point to take a fine catch which reduced the visitors to 67-3. In the next over, Davis hoisted Baker straight to Robinson, who had positioned himself precisely and took his 37th Thirds catch with aplomb. With their captain, seasoned onlookers felt, went Granta’s chances, though the teams appeared evenly matched when drinks were taken at 96-4. Baker immediately bowled Granta’s No 6. Robinson summoned the fired-up Armstrong, who had obviously had something stimulating for breakfast (good job there are no random drugs checks in Division 2B, opined a team-mate), and the iconic left-armer bowled No 7 with his first ball. Baker finished with a fine 10‑2‑30‑3 and was replaced by Fox-Teece, who took wickets in his first two overs, while Armstrong’s second lbw shout against the obdurate Reid was upheld. Five wickets having fallen for 22, a Camden win was inevitable, it seemed, as Coteman strode to the wicket at 119-9. However, the building-society supremo prodded effectively and St Bede’s schoolboy Nickolds took a particular liking to Fox-Teece’s brand of slow seam, lofting it down the ground to the delight of the bowler’s team-mates and watching Camden legend Ray Whyley. When the partnership had reached 30, Nickolds 18 and the alarming prospect of an improbable Granta win was forming in anxious Camden minds, Robinson had had enough. Fox-Teece was consigned to a noisy part of the outfield and the reliable Warren recalled. His first ball was straight enough for the plucky Nickolds. Camden had won by 24, left Granta adrift and gone up a place. The bottom half of the table is tight. The next few weeks will be crucial.

Man of the Match: The Team!

Match report - John Sutton

19-06-10 - AWAY TO U.S.S.C

U.S.S.C 193 for 6, Camden 173 ALL OUT. RESULT - U.S.S.C WIN


Although it was nearly midsummer, it was cold, showery and more like March at Gonville & Caius, where Steve Robinson won the toss (the coin thrown up by former St Giles favourite Will Graham) and invited the home side to bat. Against the naggingly accurate Dave Warren and Paul Glasson, USSC were unadventurous, reaching only 23 after twelve overs, when Glasson was rested having conceded only 11 runs. Left-arm seamer Tom Elliot, the fifteenth debutant of a fluid season, began with a wide, then pitched one outside leg stump and saw Graham instantly despatched lbw by an umpiring team-mate with a murderous grudge. The other USSC opener, passive till now, announced violent intentions by driving Warren, but Robinson stationed himself deeper at mid off and took a fine catch over his head when a second attempt was made, to leave USSC 57-2 at the half-way stage. The next ten overs, though, saw Camden lose control of the game as 100 runs were scored and no wickets were taken, a whack on the shin taking Alec Armstrong out attack after only two overs and the home middle order punishing the bowling of Andrew Redfern, Ramesh Bulusu and another debutant, Steve Midgley, father of Tom (who was also in the team for the first Thirds father-and-son pairing for some years). However, despite the home umpires’ refusal to be moved by a succession of increasingly ludicrous appeals for catches, Camden clawed it back in the last ten overs and there were two wickets for Redfern (2-44), two more for Elliott (3-44) and one for the returning Warren, whose 10-2-28-1 were the best figures of an afternoon which had not gone precisely according to plan.

Robinson chose to begin the chase with the dashers, but Duncan Gibson (1) missed a straight one, Redfern (2) was also bowled, and after one enormous six into the cow-corner tennis courts Tom Midgley brought a brief father-and-son partnership to an end by skying vertiginously and being caught and bowled for 9. As the foundation of an assault on 194, 24-3 was not an encouraging start. However, a determined Captain Robinson joined the elder and more circumspect Midgley in a partnership of 63, which ended when, after some stylish shots, the clergyman top-edged a sweep and was out for a good 33. The second match of John Sutton’s comeback was less successful than the first as he chopped his second ball on to the stumps to leave Camden 87-5 with 22 overs left. Bulusu joined Robinson for a promising partnership, but Robinson was run out by a direct hit for 43, and when Warren was out for 4, another 76 were needed. There was some scampering, and Glasson lumped two boundaries. Then Bulusu wandered a long way from his crease and was run out, only for the emollient Graham to withdraw the appeal and reinstate the left-hander. Glasson was bowled for 16 after a perky partnership of 40. Elliot and Bulusu added a few more before the debutant was run out for 8 in farcical circumstances, and when Bulusu was caught and bowled shortly afterwards for a brave 29, Armstrong was left not out for the 26th time in 29 appearances at the crease and Camden were 20 short – 173 was a decent effort, but Camden remain in the relegation places

Man of the Match: Steve Robinson, possibly...but no one really; keep the Pol Roger in the ice-bucket

Match report - John Sutton

12-06-10 - AWAY TO ST GILES

Camden 148 for 8, St Giles 150 for 9. RESULT - ST GILES WIN


With David Mitchell on paternity leave but a possible participant later in the day, Steve Robinson won the toss for a hastily-cobbled-together team at Solway and chose to bat. Duncan Gibson whacked a four and a six against his former club, but after a neat pulled boundary Ramesh Bulusu chipped to backward square leg. Gibson was then bowled for 15, and the third wicket fell at 23 when the stand-in skipper was lbw for 2. Harrison was swinging the ball lavishly from a great height, and he bowled Andrew Redfern for 1 and 100th Thirds debutant Andrew Petrie for a duck to complete a 5-for in his sixth over and reduce Camden to a sickly 25-5, at which point former skipper John Sutton emerged tentatively from retirement. He and David Warren blocked for several overs before the Cambourne ladies’ man was bowled for 2 to give Harrison a sixth victim. Martin Baker joined the 61-year-old, and gradually the pair began to repair the innings, much to the hosts’ irritation. Having taken 17 balls to get off the mark, the veteran cut a couple of twos, while Baker found the boundary twice. From 46-6 at drinks, the score rose as a fifty partnership was reached in the 29th over. Sutton clipped a full toss through mid-wicket for four and Baker was severe on anything short. Then the veteran drove a four and hoisted the Giles leg-spinner over mid-wicket for an unexpected six, and Baker pulled and drove heartily, three fours and a big six taking him to a well-deserved maiden Thirds fifty, the last 26 of which had come in ten balls. Sadly, the Wildlife Supremo was then caught and bowled to end a new record seventh-wicket partnership of 104 which consigned Redfern and Warren to the dustbin of history. Mitchell had now arrived, but despite his 7 and some tired chips over the infield from the exhausted Sutton, the last four overs yielded only 16 as the former captain ended on 34* and debutant Steve Dove on 0*.

Warren and Redfern opened the bowling on a ground newly-equipped with random gates and encircled with chicken wire. In his second over Redfern found the edge and keeper Gibson pouched the catch. Then, in his fourth over, Warren had popular ex-NCI skipper Platten lbw and was awarded another lbw, half way down the pitch, three balls later to make it 23-3. After a glorious cover drive, the dangerous-looking Sudarshan hoicked a Redfern full toss and was splendidly caught by self-confessed footballer Dove, running back at mid on. Baker replaced the Syndicate man and found the edge to give Gibson a second victim, then Alec Armstrong, who had replaced Warren at the Pavilion End and settled into a good rhythm, bowled Badger comprehensively. With St Giles 60-odd for 6 (scrawled on by unlettered folk, the scorebook is imprecise) Camden felt they could win, However, the spinners could not make the breakthrough. Robinson turned to Gibson, Mitchell taking over behind the stumps, but the Dunedin man’s two overs were expensive and the fielding frayed. Warren returned to bring a measure of control. Gibson effected a run-out for the seventh wicket, then Bulusu was summoned, and his extravagant flight and spin accounted for opener Binfield for a hearty 66 – but not many runs were required (the scorebook is less than imprecise at this point and the handwriting has declined to cave-painter levels). Redfern (3-33) provoked a catch for the skipper, but as veteran No 11 Norman Salmon looked on, No 10 Harrison whacked a Warren full toss over mid wicket to end a good game with an over to spare. Camden could have won, but didn’t; equally the visitors could have lost and been back home by four o’clock – but thanks to Baker and Sutton, they weren’t.

A Mrs Sutton of Cambridge said: “He’s not the messiah. He’s a very silly old man.”

Man of the Match: Martin Baker

Find the match score card here.

Match report - John Sutton

05-06-10 - AWAY TO MILTON

Camden 195 for 6, Milton 122 ALL OUT. RESULT - CAMDEN WIN


Bargains for Armstrong at the Tesco End

David Mitchell won the toss at muggy Milton and chose to bat. With not even the remotest fenland venue offering a gig, popular vocalist Matt Fox-Teece was available to open the batting with Duncan Gibson. After a couple of good shots, however, the hirsute heart-throb was bowled for 12, but the man from Dunedin continued his golden run of form before being caught for 37 with the score 75 in the fifteenth over. The newly-married Stephen Hodsdon was joined by the captain (soon to become a father of two) and it was not long before the burly Marlburians began to set about the home attack – to the tune of a partnership of 82, which ended when Mitchell was caught for a sturdy 36. With six overs left, quick runs were required, and after a couple more meaty pulls and drives Hodsdon departed for 62, his fifth Thirds fifty. Shortly afterwards ex-former-ex-all-rounder Steve Robinson was more lbw than it is possible to be without being John Sutton, for 9, and young Chris Tapping almost immediately bowled for a duck. Andrews Matthews (10*) and Redfern (9*) then batted without alarms to set a combative 196 to win.

The smoker-philosopher was back immediately after tea to open the bowling, with Paul Glasson. The home side advanced confidently, punishing the occasional bad ball, but in the twelfth over the bearded Yellowbelly (1-23) made the breakthrough, bowling Bone comprehensively, only to be ripped off immediately by a Captain with a Master Plan. Gibson was summoned to accompany Redfern, and was immediately rewarded with the wickets of the dangerous Nayar (Glasson pouching the catch) and the other opener, his spell giving him 2-22. Redfern ended unluckily wicketless after a good ten-over stint. A drinks-interval total of 90-3 soon became 94-4, then 109-6 as the Master Plan took hold, with wickets for Fox-Teece – thanks to a fine catch by the veteran Matthews – and the athletic Tapping, who turned and threw down the wicket for a splendid run-out. After hanging around at the Tesco End for late-evening bargains, Alec Armstrong, bowling far better than was actually necessary, snapped up three quick wickets, two lbw, the other to a safe Mitchell catch, to end with 3-6. Fox-Teece’s exotic hairstyle had put off two further batsmen – but not Matthews, who held another catch insouciantly – and he claimed 3-14 as Camden romped home by 73 runs, also beat the evening thunderstorms, and zoomed off the bottom of the table.

In The Red Bull afterwards, Fox-Teece regaled team-mates with lurid tales of Fen groupies.

Man of the Match: Stephen Hodsdon

Find the match score card here.

Match report - John Sutton




Little Shelford 233 for 6, Camden 215 for 4. RESULT - LITTLE SHELFORD WIN

The sun shone at The Wale, David Mitchell lost the toss and table-topping Shelford, thanks to opener Smith’s 119, the curate’s 50 and a superb batting wicket, posted a daunting 233-6. Things had begun well for the visitors at the picturesque ground, Dave Warren inducing a snick for gleeful keeper Duncan Gibson, whose 44th (yes, really – only 44) birthday it was, and Richard Hadley snaffling two quick wickets, the second thanks to an agile very low slip catch by the captain, but in punishing heat, a long partnership unfolded, which change bowlers Martin Baker, Impington VC student Josh Taylor (on a promising debut) and Jaiaya Savige could not break. Paul Glasson turned an ankle in the field, so his nagging medium pace was not called on. Eventually Hadley (3-36) returned to bowl the curate, then Alec Armstrong bowled his impetuous replacement for a duck. Hitting out in the last few overs, Smith was bowled by Warren (2-38) before the innings concluded and the two teams retired to the shade and the comforts of cake.

Camden’s reply began with some birthday bludgeoning from the moustachioed Gibson, who started with three meaty fours. At 46, however, Ramesh Bulusu was run out for 6, to bring Hadley to the wicket. Gibson hit some more boundaries, survived a confident appeal for a catch at the wicket and lumped a six into the corner of the ground to record his first Thirds fifty, but was bowled shortly afterwards, with the score at a handy 75 in the sixteenth over. Josh Taylor joined the Kiwi all-rounder and it was soon apparent that it would be no easier for the hosts to take wickets than it had been for Camden. The score rose at a good rate, Hadley reaching yet another 50. Chasing down a big total was a realistic aim, but at 156 in the 32nd over, Hadley was bowled by a returning paceman for a good 66. Mitchell and Taylor kept things going, but the captain skied to the backward-square-leg boundary for 11. Despite Taylor’s elegant 48 not out and a perky 6 not out from former-ex-all-rounder Steve Robinson, Camden fell 18 short at the end of a pleasing game. Eight points was a good return from a lost game, but the Thirds sank to the bottom of the embryonic Division 2B table (in which 0.75pt covers the bottom five).

Asked for his comments, former Premier Gordon Brown said, “I share your pain. But well batted, Dunc.”

Man of the Match: Duncan Gibson

Find the match score card here.

Match report - N/A


Camden 140 ALL OUT, Bottisham-Lode 142 for 2. RESULT - BOTTISHAM-LODE WIN

The match against Bottisham at Lode against a side referred to as “Bottlode” by their skipper throughout began in high spirits; the former Globe opening partnership of Gibson and Bulusu seemed jaunty, the weather looked as if it would hold off, the skip had got a side together again, despite some difficulties and was basking comfortably in the sun, like some walrus replete with oysters. And then……

Optimistic running by Gibson ended his foray, while Redfern continued his unfortunate run of form with the bat. Mitchell and Bulusu steadied things with a curious stand of 104 that went from being 29-2 in over 12 to 80-2 by 20. Thereafter Fletcher, bowling SLA for the opposition pinned things back, then bowled Mitchell (62) aiming hopefully for the churchyard and things began to deteriorate. Of the last six batsmen Baker scored runs, the remainder troubled the scorer immensely (as it was by now the skipper again), but not in any constructive way. Bulusu fell for a determined 32 and Robinson ran out of partners (although he did execute the last one himself) on 17, extras made 21 (almost man of the match material) and a tasteful veil will be drawn over the total of 140 all out.

Still, we’d defended less last season on Trinity Hall, so cheerful tea and the story of the time Burwell were all out for nought. Their opener, and skipper was apparently late for some other appointment and despite two difficult chances going down had every right to the 81 not out he claimed. Supported by numbers 2,3 and 4 they made the runs for 2 down, both of which fell to Warren, whose spell of 6-3-11-2 was the bowling highlight. They took just over 30 overs getting them, with good spells of tight bowling from debutant Pollard (actually R. Pollard, but recorded as K in the book) and Glason, but Camden lacked the whiles or the penetration to really trouble a man with his eye in. Much searching of souls and of the undergrowth resulted, Bulusu probably had the right idea, by contriving to be locked in the changing room by Robinson at drinks. Ultimately a distant second, if not third, place, and a spot second from bottom in the table were our reward. Next week Little Shelford, second from top await, so surely a chance for glory and annoying other sides, which seems to be our place in this league (and could they do without us ?).

Find the match score card here.

Match report - David Mitchell


Camden 191 FOR 8, Longstowe 92 ALL OUT. RESULT - CAMDEN WIN

On a cold, wet, Saturday afternoon, more suited to winter sports, Camden plunged into the wild depths of Longstowe with several new players and a quartet of Kiwis. Camden was lead by the wildlife supremo, Martin Baker, who was looking for ducks out on the wicket. Surprisingly the Longstowe skipper was keen to play in spite of the incessant drizzle and having discussed whether to reduce the overs, the captains agreed to stick to 40 overs each as the game was unlikely to be completed. The Camden skipper lost the toss, but fearing the worst was pleasantly surprised by the inexplicable decision of the Longstowe skipper to field in this new sport of aqua-cricket.

Dave Warren missed out on the chance to open the batting having turned up late assuming that no cricket would be taking place. The captain therefore sent out our new Kiwi opener, Andy Haines to open the batting with Ramesh Bulusu. Ramesh was out early leg before and the veteran Andy Matthews joined his namesake. Andy Haines promptly set about dispatching the bar of soap that passed for a cricket ball to all corners of the ground in a controlled display of attacking opening batting. The atmosphere amongst the Longstowe fielders was visibly darkening with the clouds as the rain and cold wind continued. Andy Haines reached his 50 before 20 overs and Camden had scored nearly 90 runs in the first 20 overs for only the loss of two wickets. After the drinks beak, wickets started to fall more regularly, though Andy Haines continued to score, giving only a single chance on his way to a debut century. The Kiwi opener was eventually out for 119, one short of Richard Hadley’s performance on the same ground in 2009 and Longstowe were despairing at Camden’s sting of Kiwi openers, though little did they know that there was more Kiwi magic to follow. Camden had scored a very respectable 191 for 8 wickets.

After tea, the weather brightened up slightly and the sun almost made an appearance. The two Daves (Coutts & Warren) opened the bowling. The tall Kiwi took at early wicket with Richard Pollard taking a low catch at point. Dave Warren bowled tightly and the Longstowe batsmen comfortably took the score along to 23. Then Dave Coutts unleashed the most devastating spell of bowling in Camden 3rd XI history taking 5 wickets for no runs in 11 balls, four of the wickets clean bowled. The Longstowe skipper entered the fray and their number 8 lashed out. The skipper therefore decided to change the bowling, saving a couple of overs of Dave Coutts. Our new Aussie, Jiaya Savige took over from Dave Coutts and the captain replaced Dave Warren. Savige promptly took 2 quick wickets and any remaining hopes that Longstowe may have had of victory had been squashed. The only thing that could now prevent a Camden victory was the weather, yet looming beyond Longstowe Hall and the Hodsdon wedding were some very dark clouds. Baker and Savige were rattling through the overs, but could Camden bowl 14 overs before the rain thwarted them? Dave Warren suggested that Dave Coutts be brought back and the skipper made the change immediately. It worked: in his final over, the Kiwi took his 7th wicket to finish with 7 for 28, a Thirds record, consigning Alec Armstrong’s epic 6-5 to the dustbin of history. It was still a race against time as the black clouds came ever closer, so the skipper turned to the batting hero Andy Haines who finished off the innings with his 4th ball. As the Camden team entered the changing rooms, the heaviest rain of the day began to fall.

Men of the Match: - Andy Haines & Dave Coutts

Find the match score card here.

Match report - Martin Baker


Camden 173 FOR 3, Cherry Hinton 174 for 6. RESULT - CHERRY HINTON WIN


With only three Seconds players available, most Third XI stalwarts found themselves facing Dixon-enhanced Histon at Bridge Road in Senior 1, while after a frantic Friday evening registering players, Camden chiefs sent David Mitchell, Andrew Matthews, Duncan Gibson, Pembroke College groundsman Trevor Munns (complete with Jamie Oliver haircut) and seven debutants to Quy for the Division 2 clash with Cherry Hinton.

Stylish Pembroke undergraduate Andrew Bell and the wristy Ramesh Bulusu opened for Camden, Bell driving the first ball of the match straight for four. The pair had added a comfortable 47, thanks to more Bell boundaries and some elegant cuts from his partner, when Bulusu called an ill-advised single and Bell was run out for a promising 23. Munns began confidently, but at 57, in the sixteenth over, Bulusu was stumped for a well-made 20 and the Camden skipper joined the TV chef lookalike. The partnership prospered, circumspectly at first. Then, uncharacteristically, Mitchell launched a booming drive down the ground for six and Munns eased a couple to the boundary. With six overs remaining Munns looked sure to reach fifty, so it came as a surprise when he shuffled across his stumps and – to the consternation of Camden’s umpire, who raised the finger to bag an unexpected early-season victim – was lbw for a very handy 48. Aided by Andy Matthews (8*), Mitchell reached an undefeated 53 (his sixteenth for the Thirds) as Camden closed on 173-3, leaving a patient Kevin Diver to change from batting to keeping pads during the interval.

Matt Leggett (1-41) and Duncan Gibson opened the bowling, but the hosts sped to 44 in eight overs. League Secretary Martyn Livermore then drove Leggett again and saw the bowler’s Pembroke College team-mate Olly Budd dive to his right at mid off and confidently pouch the catch. A good partnership then unfolded, but was broken by another Camden-Pembroke debutant, Ali McWilliams, who bowled Dix for 43. Budd was proving expensive, but the leg-spinner induced two catches – one splendid, low and one-handed – at point for Paul Glasson, who then produced a tidy slow-medium spell and took 1-9. But despite McWilliams’ 2-27 and Budd’s 2-58, Cherry Hinton eased home with overs to spare.

With several Thirds regulars attending next week’s glittering Hodsdon wedding, it may well be that another unfamiliar eleven will take the field at Longstowe for the second game of the season.

Man of the Match: The Portly Run-Machine

Find the match score card here.

Match report - John Sutton